Monday, August 23, 2004

Here's a post I forgot about. I started it quite a while back, and then promptly lost it. I finished it today, because it was a relatively good post, and came easily, and I don't write many of those:



They've Stolen Our Freedom! Or Have They?


[My original intro, which has nothing to do with this post. However, it seemed to belong by right of association, so I left it in. Skip it if you want.] You know, if I had any suspicion that anyone besides Pieter regularly read my weblog, I'd actually write more often. It's the security of having a following-of-one (and that one not following as closely as he used to) that stifles my budding genius and hampers the flow of literary verbosity. Please don't disillusion me--I like being lazy.

I read an article about income tax today by my sometime-friend (don’t smack me, Pieter!). He argues that the income tax imposed on him amounts to nothing less than slavery. True freedom, he implies, entails the ability to do whatever you want with all of your money; not to be forced to spend it on someone else's public-education, or to pay for government-funded abortions, or to fund the private vacations of congressmen.

Of course, much as we all hate to admit it, that sort of freedom cannot exist except in a vacuum. If we want the security and (even) the benefits of living in an orderly civilization, we have to expect a price. That price takes the form of taxes, laws that hinder us even while they protect us, and, yes, sometimes even an unconstitutional amendment allowing Government to take our income. Not that I’m arguing that any of this is ideal—only that it’s to be expected.

You want security, you give up freedom. That’s the rule of thumb, and it’s a livable rule. Sure, I hate income tax too. Nothing inherently gives Government the right to snatch nearly half my income to spend at its discretion. It is, however, a right that I relinquished in favor of personal and economic security.

Which is not to say I won’t be ready to take that right back again if and when someone gets up enough gumption and national support to work towards another amendment repealing the income theft.

So...what are you waiting for, Pieter?

6 Comments:

Blogger Shane Deal said...

I read your blog every day.

Income tax is not in the constitution.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Louise Golightly said...

Hello, it's the first time I read your blog, and I really liked it. I found this "next blog" button from blogger.com, and your blog is three blogs away from mine (I'm guessing that's an alphabetical order). Anyway, always nice reading good texts. About the income tax, I live in Brazil and I think it is on our constitution..the only problem is OUR society isn't that organized. Nice meeting your blog again, I'll most surely visit you again.
Love,
Louise

Ps.: If you want to drop by at my blog (which isn't good, but whatever), it's www.lovepassionobsession.blogspot.com.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Shane: Right, it isn't. Just in the 16th Amendment.

Louise: Thanks! I'm happy you visited, and I'll certainly take a look at your blog too :) Have a great one!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Shane Deal said...

Forgive my ignorance. My brain's still sleeping I guess.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Carmon Friedrich said...

I'm peeking ;-).

From what I understand, the 16th Amendment was not properly ratified. Unfortunately, the big guns are able to enforce it because the sheeple prefer their bread and circuses and safety to their freedom. Do you know who was originally to be taxed, and how much?

11:25 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I know it was originally supposed to be a tax that "soaked the rich", conceived by Republicans for political reasons, but not intended to be passed.

As for how much...I'm not absolutely certain...I found one article that says the very first tax "ranged from merely 1% on the first $20,000 of taxable income and was only 7% on incomes above $500,000"

Really? How was it not ratified properly? That should be interesting...

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free iPods

Search Engine Submission and Internet Marketing


Search Engine Optimization and Free Submission